Thursday, November 3, 2011

Appreciating History

     I have now been in Belgium for a little over two months, and I am completely in love. Everything here so far has been great, including my awesome host family! I was definitely extremely lucky to be "placed" with this family. They take time out of their lives to make this experience the most it can be for me.
     They have taken me to Brussels (the capital of Belgium) several times to explore, and teach me about some of the history of Belgium. They also took me on a weekend trip to go hiking on the border of Germany. It was beyond beautiful, and the weather was perfect! But of course, I had to see the "most famous city in Europe", Paris! From where I live in Belgium, Paris is only 3 three hours away. We spent the day going to little cafes, enjoying the beautiful scenery, and of course going to famous monuments. I had the opportunity to see the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees, the Arch of Triumph, Notre Dame, and the real Moulin Rouge. Along with these "big" trips, they take me on "small" adventures to beautiful parks, ancient monuments, and many other things close by.
     The more do and see around Europe makes me feel more and more lucky everyday for this amazing opportunity. I had never really enjoyed learning about history before coming to Europe, but after being here and SEEING all the history, it makes me yearn to learn so much more!

 Manneken Pis (Brussels)
 Abby (originally build in 1146)
 Kayaking on a river in Belgium
 Disneyland (Paris)
 A beautiful park in La Hulpe, Belgium
 Celebrating All Saints Day (Nov. 1st)
 The "City Hall" of Paris
 Notre Dame (Paris)
 At the museum of Louvre (paris)
 On the Champs Elysees (Paris)
 The Arc of Triumph (Paris)
 Eiffel Tower (Paris)
 Moulin Rouge (Paris)
 Church on a Hill (Paris)

No comments:

Post a Comment