Sunday, December 18, 2011

Disappointment In My Blood



**This is a letter I sent to the Oskaloosa High School principals and councilors after seeing how horribly vulgar the high school girls were dressed at a school event known as, "The Winter Formal." I think after going to European school I have come to realize the art of self respect. Not only self respect, but respect for principals, teachers, and school staff. The pictures I saw do not represent the high school I wish to return to after my exchange.**



Dear Oskaloosa High School Staff,

     As you probably already know, I am an exchange student right now in the beautiful country of Belgium thanks to Rotary and its great youth exchange program. I want to start by telling you what I great opportunity this has been for me. It has really opened up my mind to new thoughts, ways of life, and different ethics, which I intend to bring back and share with the United States, Iowa, Oskaloosa, and Oskaloosa Schools. Though this has been a great experience to learn about Europe and the culture, it has also forced me to learn more about the United States. Some of what I have learned about the United States has made me feel great about the country I come from, but a lot of what I have realized about the United States has made me extremely disappointed in the society I have grown up in.
     As I usually do on Sundays, I was scanning through my Facebook, seeing what Oskaloosa has been up to. I was looking through some pictures that my exchange student had taken at the “Winter Formal”, the night before (12/17/11), and became more and more shocked as I continued briefing through the photos. What I saw was not a “school dance” for high school students, but what looked to be a strip club for adult men. The more pictures I saw, the more I became curious, and continued snooping through other students photos from this “glamorous” night.
     Immediately following the viewing of these pictures I was full of anger and disappointment. I wanted a second opinion. Maybe I was over reacting. As soon as my host sister (age 18) saw the first photo, her jaw dropped as mine did. My host mother, being curious, came to have a look also. The first words out of her mouth were, "Wow, c’est tres vulgar pour une joune fille…" This translates to, "This is very vulgar for a young girl." That is honestly when the disappointment sank in deeply.
     Is this really what Oskaloosa High School standards have become? Is it just a competition to see who can show the most skin and get away with it? Why aren’t parents, principals, teachers, staff, chaperones, STUDENT COUNCIL MEMBERS stopping this? Has this become the new normal?
     Most of all, I am disappointed in the Oskaloosa High School staff for allowing this. Unless the dress codes have changed to an extent that I am unaware of, how is it ok for girls to be dressing so disgustingly inappropriate at a school event? As the staff, have you decided to start letting Oskaloosa High Schools standards slip because you don’t want to have to confront the problem, upset the student body, or be the “bad guy”? As my host parents would tell me, “You need to beef up!”
     I am not sure that I am only noticing this now because I am looking at it from an outsiders perspective, or if it has always been like this and I have never noticed. Either way, I am hoping that somebody will take a stand and expect self respect from high school girls, and NOT ALLOW this behavior at ANY school ran functions. It is especially disappointing to see that the majority of the inappropriately dressed girls are student council members. What a great way to represent Oskaloosa High School and the United States of America!
     Though I do understand that American culture is much different than European culture, I wish that the aspect of self respect was the same. Please take this note into account. I consider myself a representative of the United States and of Oskaloosa High School, is this really what you want me representing to the rest of the world?
               
Brooke Beers

(Please excuse grammatical errors, as my English has declined while my French is moving in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment