Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Last Night.

     At this time tomorrow, 1:40 a.m., I will be in the country of Belgium. There though, it will be more like 8:40 a.m. As you may have noticed, my departure date has been moved forward from the 25th to the 18th. I have to say the 7 days has made quite a bit of a difference. My VISA arrived at noon on the 17th, which made things even more stressful; mostly for my mom who is "in charge" of all the paperwork.
     One question I have been asked quite a bit, especially as my departure date gets closer, is "Are you nervous, or excited!?" And every time I seem to give the same response, "I'm not nervous, I'm just really excited for the plane ride. I've never been on a plane." People have seemed to be quite flabergasted by that response. I feel like they were expecting me to say "I'm a nervous freakin' wreck! I haven't slept in weeks!"
     I do have to admit though that there are times that it hits me that I'm going to be leaving the country for a year. I was trying to explain these moments to my mom, and she just laughed, thinking I was crazy. So now I want to share the moments. My first one was when we went to Target and bought "travel sized" shampoo. The next one was when I was giving my dog a bath, and I realized I wouldn't be seeing him for a year. Another one was when today I noticed my gas guage was on "E", and I wouldnt have to worry about running on fumes, because I wouldn't have to drive it tomorrow. One would think that it would be things like my mom telling me her and Dad were replacing me with an exchange student from Germany, or boxing up my room a month before I leave, or even cracking jokes about all the vacations and great things they were going to do without me would bother me more. Nope, none of that bothered me. Travel sizes, dog baths, and not having to fill 'er up again did.

No comments:

Post a Comment